Are you facing problems with your ethernet? A computer has mainly two ways for internet connectivity i.e. WiFi and wired Ethernet. But, in old desktops (doesn’t have a WiFi card), there was only one type of internet connectivity option which is Ethernet. So, to enjoy a good tech life, your ethernet should work properly. So, without any time waste let’s start how to fix ethernet not working in your PC.
How do you fix an Ethernet not working problem?
There are too many reasons due to which you face the problem of ethernet. These are also possibilities that your ethernet cable is damaged, the drivers are outdated or ethernet port is not working properly. So, to fix it you might have to apply different fixes too.
Therefore, I highly recommend trying all the fixes I am going to mention here.
#1. Restart your computer:
As I always say, if you face any strange error in your computer, your first and most effective fix is to restart your system. In this case also please restart your system and re-check your ethernet connectivity.
So, after getting ethernet problems, simply close all your live windows and restart your computer. Now, check if ethernet is working or not. If your ethernet problem is not fixed after this step, don’t worry, try these too-
#2. Enable ethernet manually:
Do you check is your ethernet is running properly or not? Yes, in some cases you see ethernet is connected in the desktop screen but in reality, it is not connected.
So, it is always better to enable your ethernet manually to fix ethernet not working problems. So, let’s enable your ethernet-
There are two methods to enable your ethernet.
- Open your start menu and open Run.
- Type the command devmgmt.msc in the box and hit enter.
- This command directly opens the windows of device manager.
- In device managers, there should be at least one network adapter but there might be more.
- Choose the PCIe adapter option and right click it and enable it.
- This is the first method using which you can easily enable your ethernet. Now, let’s discuss method 2.
If you find pasting command in Run to open your device manager is a little bit complicated, this method is for you.
- Go to your control panel and search for device manager.
- In the device manager, expand the network adapter option and enable the ethernet option (PCle) by right-clicking it.
- That’s it for method 2.
After doing either method 1 or 2 check if your ether problem is fixed or not.
#3. Run troubleshooter for ethernet:
In this step, we are gonna run a troubleshooter for your ethernet. If everything goes well, you just have to turn on the troubleshooter and it will automatically detect the error and also try to fix that. To run troubleshooter-
- First, open your settings (in windows 8,10) otherwise open your control panel and go to troubleshoot option in network and sharing.
- In troubleshoot, you can see an internet connection option, just expand that and click on the Run troubleshooter.
- After that, you just have to follow the instructions and wait till it detects the error and fixes it. After the complete process is finished, check if the problem is solved or not.
#4. Update the drivers:
If all the drivers of your PC are not up-to-date, then also you can see these types of strange errors. So, please, always keep your drivers up-to-date.
The best part is you don’t have to spend a penny for updating or installing them. But, you have to know the exact process to do this process safely.
I always suggest downloading the drivers from the official websites of manufacturing companies. For example, if you have a desktop/laptop of Intel, hp then you go to your manufacturer websites and put your model numbers and after that, you can easily download and install them too.
In this case (to fix your ethernet problem), do this-
- First, open your Device manager as I discussed earlier. Then expand the network adapter.
- Right-click on PCIe driver and click on update driver.
- After some time it will automatically be updated (but make sure to give an internet connection to your system through WiFi since it needs internet).
Now, it’s time to check if your error is fixed or not. If not-
- Go to your manufacturer website and enter your model number.
- And download and install the drivers related to network.
- Some manufacturer’s websites automatically scan your system and tell which driver you have to install to avoid errors. You can use them too.
#5. Turn off your antivirus:
If you are using a free/cheap antivirus, it can also cause these types of ethernet not working errors. Since the free antiviruses are not capable of recognizing which file is not a virus and which is a virus, it can also automatically block you ethernet when you turn it on.
So, make sure your antivirus is good enough that doesn’t cause these types of problems. For now, turn off your antivirus and restart your computer and check if your ethernet is working or not.
#6. Try different cable and ports:
There are also possibilities you get the error for damaged ports. Now the question is if your ethernet port is damaged somehow, how do you know it.
It’s quite simple to find if any port of your system is damaged. Simply, use a different cable and put it in a different ethernet port. After connection with a new cable re-check your ethernet connectivity.
But, if you haven’t get succeed to fix it after using a different port and a new cable, it is clear that your problem is in your system not in your ports and cables.
In case if your ethernet is working now, first, connect your computer with a new ethernet cable in the previous port and check if it’s working now or not? If it is working now, the problem is in your old ethernet cable.
But, if not then put your old ethernet cable in another port and check now if it is working. If it is working, your old ethernet port is corrupted. So, you have to try a new port.
#7. Turn off your firewall:
It is also possible that your firewall is blocking your Ethernet connection. So, I suggest you check after disabling your windows firewall for some time.
Generally, the windows firewall acts as a very strong antivirus but if you haven’t updated your windows for some months, it acts like this. So, if your windows are updated you can skip this step.
I am not saying to turn off your firewall forever. You just have to check if you are getting ethernet not working error for your firewall by disabling it for some time.
After your confirmation, you can easily allow to connect ethernet in firewall in settings.
#8. Perform a network reset:
Don’t worry, this is not a complete system reset, it is only a network reset. So all your data will be safe.
Here we are going to reset the network so that if there exists any problem in your network, it automatically fixes those errors.
To do a network reset-
For Windows 10-
- Go to settings in windows 10.
- Then click on status.
- Click on network reset and you are done.
For Windows 7, 8, 8.1-
- Open your command prompt as an administrator.
- Type this command netsh winsock reset and hit enter.
- It will automatically rest your network settings.
#9. Flush your DNS:
When you use a computer for a long time it automatically caches some unwanted files. This is also a reason due to which you can see errors like this.
After flushing your DNS, these files will be deleted. So, make sure to do this step.
- First, open your command prompt as administrator.
- There type the code ipconfig /flushdns and hit enter.
- You can see a successful message when it is done.
- After that restart your PC and check connection your ethernet again.
#10. Check internet protocol version (IPv):
There are internet protocol versions like IPv4, IPv6, etc, in your pc. Now, you have to check if any one of them is disabled. To do so-
- Go to your network and internet option from your control panel or right-click the ethernet icon from the desktop.
- Then right-click on the ethernet option and go to properties.
- You can see internet protocol version 4, 6 there.
- Just tick all the protocol versions and save it.
After this process, restart your system and check the ethernet. You can also try putting other DNS addresses in the protocol versions.
- Click on the IPv options and go to properties.
- There you can see DNS server address. Just type your DNS address and save it.
- That’s all for this step.
Also Read: Fix steam content file locked.
Frequently asked questions (FAQs):
How do I know if my Ethernet port is working?
It is very simple to know if your ether port is working properly or not. To detect, your system should have an additional ethernet port.
Just put the ethernet cable in the new port and check if the ethernet is working or not. If it is working, then your previous port has some issues.
And if you don’t get succeed in the new port also try putting a new ethernet cable. Who knows if you have problems in your ethernet cable also.
After using a new ethernet cable if your problem is not fixing then your hardware is completely ok, you have problems in your software. Therefore I suggest doing the steps for fixing the ethernet problem.
How do I enable Ethernet?
Although I have mentioned two methods to simply enable your ethernet, here I am discussing one more way by which you can easily enable your ethernet.
- Right-click on the ethernet icon (right button corner) and go to network connections.
- Right-click on the ethernet option and enable it.
- That’s all you have to do.
Why LAN connection is not working?
As we know ethernet is a local area network (LAN) and we also call the ethernet cable as LAN cable. So, basically LAN connection not working means, ethernet not working.
There are tons of reasons because of which you can find issues with LAN but if you follow the 10 steps I have mentioned I am sure that you can easily get rid of it.
This problem can occur because of your antivirus, firewall, damaged ethernet port, LAN cable, outdated drivers, etc. And you get different errors.
ethernet not working on a router:
If you are one of those whose ethernet is working everywhere except router read this.
Since your ethernet is working everywhere, so it means you don’t have a problem with your ethernet connection or in your PC. All you have to do connect your router with a new device and see if your router is working properly if it is do the 10 steps I have discussed.
You can also read my previous article on how to fix WiFi connected but no internet in detail how to fix these types of WiFi/router problems.
Ethernet cable not detected on windows 7:
Your first step should be to check if your ethernet cable is working properly. You can easily find it by inserting it on any other computer.
If your cable is ok, then I recommend to check your ethernet port and after that do these 10 steps and you can easily fix this issue.
I hope after applying these 10 fixes you can get rid of ethernet not working problem. As I said before there are different reasons due to which you see this error.
So, by chance, you can’t get rid of this problem just leave a comment with the error you are getting and I would love to help you. See you in the next post, tada:)